Wednesday, November 18th, we gathered among friends, business colleagues and new acquaintances at one of Calgary’s most revered restaurant establishment – River Cafe – to take part in an annual occasion sure to become a must-attend business event in this, the city of Mavericks.
The third annual REAP (Respect for the Earth and All People) Be Local Awards was created to recognize REAP Member businesses, of which there are over 130 covering all categories from Arts and Culture to Health and Wellness, “and the ways in which they care for our community and planet.
Social Sesame was lucky enough to win Favourite Micro Business, and we couldn’t be happier.
The award is based on “fan favourite,” ultimately meaning – votes. But at Social Sesame, we take winning the Be Local Award as a way of confirming not only that our friends, clients and colleagues like and appreciate who we are, but that they also appreciate what we do.
Our company has made huge strides to give back to the Calgary community by:
- Keeping overhead low with a small, inner city office
- Using mostly digital technology, reducing our waste
- Recycling as much as possible
- Commuting or riding bikes as much as possible to get around
- Donating to local charities and community groups financially or with in-kind donations (DJD, Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids, Kensington BRZ to name just a few)
- Volunteering with local arts groups and non-profits on a regular basis – just take a peek at David’s LinkedIn profile and Twitter feed to see what he’s been up to!
So thanks everyone for voting for us. We totally appreciate it. If there was an emoji to show how thankful we are of this award we think it would be that little dude with the biggest smile on its face (ok ok, it’s the high five).